GOODBYE MY FRIEND



There's a strange noise - it's far away but insistent. It's coming closer. My throat. I think I'm choking. There's something digging in. I catch a whiff of something. It stinks. The noise is close now - I catch it. "Mummy! It's morning!". 
My throat , why can't I talk - oh, it's an elbow happily nuzzled in that soft spot, digging deeper. 
"Mummy!" Oh, there's that smell. It's her. And him. In my nose, literally. 
"I need breakfast! Wake up mummy!" 
I still can't open my eyes. I reach over for my phone - it can't be 7. I manage to force one eye open - it's 5:47am. What day is it? Is it Monday? Did I sleep through the weekend?





"Cmon mummy!"
"No!" I mutter, "go back to bed! It's still night time!"
"No it isn't! I can see the light. Is it time for me to put on my ballet shoes? Remember I have to dance!"
Damn you British summer time! The sunlight sure knows when to come up but the heat clearly doesn't! 
I remove the offending elbow from my throat for the umpteenth time and like a Boomerang it returns. "Judah!" 
No use, he's fast asleep. Like gone. Mouth wide open, facing me and emitting toxic fumes in the process. I thought baby & toddler breath was meant to be sweet. Another lie from the baby magazine centrefolds.


"Mummy! Ok daddy! Daddy, come downstairs with me!" 
"No."
And he's the morning one.

I lie still. I remember a time. A time when I didn't know time on a Saturday. When being ready for anything before midday was a chore. The time of the Saturday morning lie in. The days when I'd clean the house late on Friday night so I could wake up super late and enjoy the breeze blowing through the whole place. Yes those days. I speak to Saturday Morning Lie In.

 I apologise to her. I apologise for not fully appreciating all that she was, for now - she is no more. I look through the album of our time together, from childhood till 24th June 2011 when she had a sudden and untimely death. I was told time is a great healer, but the pain of her passing appears to be getting stronger with time. On days like today I feel it the most. 






I clamber out of bed, one eye still stubbornly sealed shut, whilst a bright eyed and bushy tailed Morayo-Hope springs into action. Down the stairs she runs, shouting out her breakfast request. Once upon a time my boob was the breakfast (or silencer as I called it). 

As I sit in the car park waiting for her to finish her dance / theatre class, I wonder if I should switch my eulogy and direct it at Saturday as a whole. Because I'm going to have all of 3 hours to do something non kid related before we race across town to a birthday party.

 Oh. Judah starts nursery in September. 

Forget it. 

RIP WEEKEND. 
It was good while it lasted.


**images from Sunday about to tuck into some Nandos! Yum!**





Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. We said goodbye to our old friend the weekend the minute we got pregnant! Well, I did! I spent the last Saturday shampooing the carpet after a baby-related present was left! 😂 X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha,this made me laugh hard......I can so relate, Adios to late lie ins on Saturday

    ReplyDelete