"Will I need to learn American?"



This was one of the many pressing questions Morayo-Hope needed to have answered. "Yes", her dad teased, to which she said "Can I still learn Shona?"(Zimbabwean native language).

She was our biggest concern when it came to this move. She's so settled in her school and has a good group of friends whom she loves so dearly & one in particular that she has such a strong bond with. Many a week was spent trying to introduce the idea of moving and each conversation was greeted with a resounding "No! I need to see which class I'll be in at senior school!" Well then. But when the moment finally came, it went smoothly and her enthusiasm has been infectious.


For me, it's been a mixed bag. Naturally I am excited and nevous at the prospect of a new start. I love meeting new people and I have nomadic habits. But on the other hand, the idea of moving away from my nearest and dearest friends is not easy. They are practically family. We have family in the UK who will be missed. Morayo-Hope and Judah's cousins that we had envisioned them growing up with. The fact that neither set of our parents are in the UK has perhaps made this a bit easier.

Breaking the news has been difficult - you are excited for yourself but are also conscious that for those to whom your presence matters a great deal, it is not the happiest news. In some instances I did feel like one who was delivering news of my own death. In those instances it hit me that we live life as though we have all the time in the world when in fact none of us knows when our last breath shall be taken.


I have spent the weeks in the run up to this trip thinking of missed opportunities. I've thought of all the "yes, we must's" and "I'll call you later" that never materialised. Funny how when the choice is taken away you feel you might do things differently given half the chance.

So America here we come. Massachusetts (or Rhode Island) to be exact. The land where dreams are made. The land of opportunity, where - we're told - if you're willing to work hard anything is possible. "Welcome to America! What's your dream? Everyone that comes to America has a dream! What's your dream?" (The funny man from the movie "Pretty Woman", paraphrased ;) )

We're ready to learn American.


**images are of the kids as we arrived into Boston on Monday. Judah was trying to make a run for it as usual!**

Share this:

CONVERSATION

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you but very sad that you are leaving, it was heartbreaking :-( but maybe it will be more fun if we visit and go to Disneyland Florida! Best of luck my dearest, love you more than words can ever say xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God you traveled well. Enjoy. Excited for you all

    ReplyDelete